About Me

My photo
Merlin, The Waters of Mer
I am a teenage mermaid in the city of Merlin in the ocean of Mer. I was born under the sign of the seal, shown by my last name, Sealdotter. My hair is flame red, and my skin the color of milk chocolate. My eyes are a bright, lively purple. I am servant to the merrish princess, Melisande. My best friends are Eladea and Edessa, her ladies in waiting. This is my diary. These are our adventures.

Thursday

Sixth day of the Seal, First Month of Mammals, Sixteenth Year of King Izabai

My great friend and mistress has given me a diary! She cast a spell on it so that it would be posted to your Internet. (Whatever that means) She asked me to chronicle our adventures for the world to see, to prove Mer do exist! So, I should tell of our first adventure, technically, but I will do it in installments, so my hand does not grow sore and aching.

And so the tale begins, deep in the bowels of the palace...
I was looking for two of my best friends, Eladea and Edessa in the lower rooms of the castle of Mer. As I swam, the light in the corridor reflected off of the bronze colored scales on my tail, making it glimmer and shine as I heaved a sigh. I never could find Eladea when I wanted her! Even though I was a servant, and she and her little sister were Ladylets, (princess’s ladies-in-waiting) we were still good friends, and friends with Melisande, the princess, too.
Then the electronic bell pinned to my lacy tank rang. Oh good. That meant Melisande wanted her maid - me. Now I could tell them all what I had seen.
Once I reached Mel's chambers,I began.
"When I was taking out one of the trash buckets in the palace, I saw six of the queen's ladies-in-waiting swimming toward a outcropping of rock above the city, on the surface of the ocean. Quickly, I finished my job, and followed the merwomen up to the rock.
"As I watched from under the water so they wouldn’t see that I was spying, they wriggled up onto the outcropping. I saw a ship sailing close. The pretty ladies began to sing. They had slightly bad voices as mermaids go, but compared to humans, it was beautiful. The men on the ship began to steer toward the merladies, shouting catcalls and wolf-whistling.
"Once the ship was near, one of the ladies slid back into the water, and she almost glimpsed me, but I moved. The ship drew ever closer to the rocks, and two more women joined the first in the water. I saw nets flung out, barely missing the rocks where the three remaining mermaids waited, baiting the men with their songs and beauty. Now the mermaids all were in the water. The six women swam as quickly as they could back to King Izabai’s castle."

To be continued, for my pen is out of ink and my hand has cramped completely.....

No comments: